Brisbane West and Ipswich eHealth Network
The Brisbane West and Ipswich eHealth Network is managed by the West Moreton-Oxley Medicare Local.
The West Moreton-Oxley Medicare Local was established by two founding members, Brisbane South Division Limited and Ipswich and West Moreton Division of General Practice Limited, with the assistance of the Ipswich City Council, Regional Development Australia – Ipswich, Inala Indigenous Health Service, RSL Care, the Pharmacy Guild of Australia (Queensland Branch) and the Institute of Health and Biomedical Innovation.
Our vision is to listen and respond to the needs of the region to develop health services that put people at the heart of our thinking, through partnerships with patients, healthcare providers and the community. Our purpose is to improve the health and welfare of the community by developing and coordinating a sustainable, effective and equitable primary healthcare network.
West Moreton-Oxley Medicare Local is working hard in the region to:
Identify the healthcare needs of local areas
· Provide the evidence base necessary to allocate resources and make effective decisions
· Contribute to the improvement of health in our region
Facilitate primary healthcare initiatives and programs
· Improve the efficiency and effectiveness of healthcare services
· Advance local innovation and reform in the primary healthcare sector
· Improve the focus on prevention and early intervention
· Improve the delivery of healthcare services
Develop the integration and coordination of services
· Increase the quality and safety of patient care
· Improve the patient’s journey when receiving care
· Reduce avoidable adverse outcomes and hospital re'admissions
Support clinicians and service providers
· Improve the capacity of the workforce to provide high quality care
Develop locally focused and responsive services
· Be the recognised regional leader in primary healthcare
· Strengthen relationships across health, social and business sectors
West Moreton-Oxley Medicare Local is located in the “western corridor” of South-East Queensland, and covers an area of 9,618 sq. km. The population of the region is approximately 348,348 people. Of this area, around 85 per cent is rural, and contains 18 per cent of the West Moreton-Oxley Medicare Local population. A number of demographic features, health risk factors and health service gaps indicate that the region is one with unmet needs.
Population Health services Estimated population *348,348 General practices 105 Aged 65 years and over 37,127 Public hospitals 5 Indigenous Australians 8,198 Residential Aged Care facilities 33 Born NES countries 30,114 Private hospitals 1 Estimated unemployed 7,652 Pensioner/concession card holders 78,949